Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Facebook

The reason I finally joined Facebook is because I came across a site for Burdett's.Burdett's was the village market in my hometown of Pittsford,N.Y. where I worked off and on for a few years senior year and after high school when I was back in Pittsford off and on.It was THe job to have because everyone came through there and there were always a bunch of cute girls working there.Then I found a facebook page for Thirsty's the town bar in Pittsford.The icing on the cake was finding A Fan's of the Provincetown Jug Band page which had a link to The Old Colony bar.The Jug Band played at The Surf Club for many years and the Surf Club was in my estimation the finest dive bar in America.It was smack on the harbor but inside it was a ramschackle hodge podge of hats hanging from the ceiling and other asssorted bric a brac.I recall the first time my father came in there looking for me when they came to visit one weekend and though I wasn't there he said when he walked in to the dimly lit place in daytime it looked like the kind of place where someone gets knifed.Oddly enough I never saw anyone get knifed in there but I did outside just steps away on the wharf.Alas years ago they gutted the Surf Club put in windows and sliding doors all around turned it into mostly a restaurant and ruined it.I still weep at the thought.The OC meanwhile on Commercial Street is a lot smaller than the Surf Club but has been the same dive it was since I first saw it in 1975.It's where I imagine or in some cases know where the old Surf Club crowd hangs out.At least those who are still living.

No comments: