Saturday, December 5, 2009

A new Book Jones

So I rejoined Quality Paperback Book Club about ten days ago and today I received my five books for like 20.00.I now haveH.W. Brands"Traitor to His Class" about FDR,"down at the docks" by Rory Nugent about New Bedford and it's fishing industry,"The Last Fish Tale" by Mark Kurlansky about Glouecester and it's fishing industry,"The Virago Book of Ghost Stories" edited by Richard Dalby and last but best a coffee table sized hardback "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee:the illustrated edition" which is a 40th anniv edition of a book I love and this illustrated edition is a beaut.New essays also included though I prefer one of my smaller paperback editions for bedside reading.The ghost stories book is all by female writers of mostly the past like Wharton,Nesbitt,Riddell etc.These are literate stories not the vampire type nonsense rampant now.I can't wait to read the Nugent vs Kurlansky books because they both write not only the history but the everday things.Kurlansky is much better known but I loved Nugents"The Search for the Pink Headed Duck" some years ago.Nugent is much more offbeat.So my to read pile is now approaching the National Debt but I blunder on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.