Sunday, March 23, 2008

New Arrivals

In the past week I have gotten a copy of Russel Banks new novel"The Reserve" and from the History Book Club "The Discovery of France" by Graham Robb described as A Historical Geography from the Revolution to the First World War.I also have the first of Beverley Nichols original trilogy"Down the Garden Path" which is about the restoration of a cottage and Gardens as opposed to his second trilogy which started with"Merry Hall" about the restoration of a much larger house and grounds. I really liked the Merry Hall trilogy.They may not be for everyone but he has that great dry wit of the Brits.I also found at the bottom of a pile of cards and other things on my dining room table the last unread Alan Furst "The Foreign Correspondent".Make that two Furst's.I have one in my to read pile next to my bed about five books down.I think you either love or hate Furst.His novels all take place on the cusp of WW2 in Europe and read like a Bogart movie would.Great atmosphere though the plots aren't terribly deep.Only two involve the same main character and several involve pre war Paris, some to a good extent.

No comments: