Sunday, August 24, 2008

Songs I could listen to anytime

In order to give equal time to the previous post I've been thinking about some songs I don't think I would ever get tired of.A song I could hear anytime anyplace and I'd think what a great tune.I think the top of the list and I don't know why except I've loved the song since the very first time I heard it in the summer of 70 after I got stoned for the first time at 15 when my parents sent my 14 year old brother and I out to Berkeley from Rochester to spend the summer with my 19 year old brother and friends.What they were thinking I don't know but thanks!That song is "Whispering Pines" by The Band.I know it's not one of their so called hits but I love the song.Though I'm not a big Beatles fan I do admire"I Need You" and it's by Harrison which makes it cooler.A bunch of Brian Wilson so it's hard to choose but probably "Don't Worry Baby" and"God Only Knows"."If You Don't Know me by Now" by Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes.The Al Green version of"A Change is Gonna Come" he did live for the concert at the dedication of the Rock and Roll hall of Fame.Van Morrison and"Enlightenment".Several Bob Marley but tops would be the live version of"No Woman No Cry".The Live in Paris version of Burning Spear doing"We Are Going".Jerry Jeff Walker and"L.A. Freeway" the Isley Brothers"Who's That Lady".Patsy Clines"I Fall to Pieces" and Alison Moyet"Invisible".There are more but that's a good start.Oh and the late Roget Ducet(sp) singing "Oh Canada" at the old Montreal Forum.Even though the Habs are hated by us Bruins fans Hearing him sing it in Montreal was a treat.Oh and I know it's a Dylan song but I'm really partial to the version of"I Shall be Released" from the live Bob Dylan and the Band album.Finally the greatest country song of all time written by Willie Nelson but done by Faron Young"Hello Walls".The perfect song for the perfect voice.There is even a video online of it though it's from way back.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I went to Provincetown last night and because we had to stop off at a friend's on the shore route we drove right past Babe's. Thought of you. And as we were driving by, one of my friends said "you know, there are campgrounds here that are right on the beach."

JAbel said...

Susan,the shore route is the only way to go!You hit a spot around Beach Point where you come over a little rise and their is Provincetown across the bay in all it's glory.It's especially cool when you come upon that view on a clear summer night.